httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject RE: SSI exec cmd on Win32
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:21:43 GMT
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
>
> > On Win32, the SSI directive 'exec cmd' is borked, permitting the
> > execution of simple one-word commands like 'dir', but failing on
> > commands containing spaces, such as 'perl /path/to/script arg1 arg2'
> >
> > After wrestling with this for nearly 2 hours, I asked on
> > c.i.w.servers.www, and got a very rapid response from Bill Rowe, so
> > apparently this was fairly well known, and I should have been aware of
> > it. However, I wasn't, and wondered if it is appropriate to put this in
> > the docs, until such time as there is a fix of some kind.
> >
> > I know that it is generally considered bad form to document bugs rather
> > than fixing them, but the latter is not really an option to me, and I'd
> > like to save someone else this same frustration.
> >
> > Are there any objections to this variety of documentation change?
>
> Why don't you use something like this:
>
> "The use of #include virtual is almost always prefered to using either #exec
> cgi or #exec cmd.  The former uses the standard Apache sub-request mechanism
> to include files or scripts.  It is much better tested and maintained.  In
> addition, #exec cmd will not work at all on some platforms like win32."

For some reason, I was under the mistaken impression that you could not
pass arguments to a CGI program with #include virtual. Perhaps it was
because you can't with #exec cgi. The person that I was working with
yesterday, trying to get #exec cmd working, stated emphatically that
this was the case, and I blindly accepted this, even though I'm sure I
knew otherwise.

Yes, I will add a comment of that nature to my patch, althoght there is,
I believe, already a comment like this in the #exec cgi documentation.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New