httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: SSI exec cmd on Win32
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:10:50 GMT

> From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]

> On Win32, the SSI directive 'exec cmd' is borked, permitting the
> execution of simple one-word commands like 'dir', but failing on
> commands containing spaces, such as 'perl /path/to/script arg1 arg2'
>
> After wrestling with this for nearly 2 hours, I asked on
> c.i.w.servers.www, and got a very rapid response from Bill Rowe, so
> apparently this was fairly well known, and I should have been aware of
> it. However, I wasn't, and wondered if it is appropriate to put this in
> the docs, until such time as there is a fix of some kind.
>
> I know that it is generally considered bad form to document bugs rather
> than fixing them, but the latter is not really an option to me, and I'd
> like to save someone else this same frustration.
>
> Are there any objections to this variety of documentation change?

Why don't you use something like this:

"The use of #include virtual is almost always prefered to using either #exec
cgi or #exec cmd.  The former uses the standard Apache sub-request mechanism
to include files or scripts.  It is much better tested and maintained.  In
addition, #exec cmd will not work at all on some platforms like win32."

Joshua.