httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: pdf of docs
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:12:01 GMT
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> OK, the best thing that I'm able to find at the moment is something
> called htmldoc (http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/) which does HTML->PDF
> conversion. It looks good. The only thing that is non-obvious is how to
> get it to do things in a sensible order, and I am having a little
> trouble with links from one document to another. (It's all one PDF, but
> links from one doc to another are not working correctly. I'll get it
> eventually.)
>
> So, it looks like, if we can agree on a sensible order for the docs, all
> that we would have to maintain is a complete list of all of the files in
> that preferred order, and someone (I'm volunteering) could do the
> necessary magic (probably just a shell or Perl script, once I get this
> figured out) to generate that document on demand.

My first cut at this is available at http://apacheadmin.com/docs.pdf.bz2
It's a little over 1MB bzipped, and nearly 2 uncompressed. There's a
little trouble with links - sometimes they get converted to "internal
link", which works, while other times they appear to get converted to
HTML references, which don't work. But apart from that, and some trouble
that it seemed to have with the tables in the mod_rewrite docs, it looks
like we can generate a PDF without much trouble. Please let me know what
you think.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings