httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: pdf of docs
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 02:36:32 GMT
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I'm at this moment investigating a few HTML->PDF thingys that I found on
> Freshmeat. I'll let y'all know if I find something useful. Not knowing
> when the last PDF was generated, I'm not sure how much the docs have
> changed since then, but I at least would like to think that we've made
> some good improvements over the last few months. I'm currently on my own
> little quest to make sure that docs have examples. I was offline for a
> whole week, while in St. Louis, so it may be a little while before I
> catch up and start committing stuff again.

OK, the best thing that I'm able to find at the moment is something
called htmldoc (http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/) which does HTML->PDF
conversion. It looks good. The only thing that is non-obvious is how to
get it to do things in a sensible order, and I am having a little
trouble with links from one document to another. (It's all one PDF, but
links from one doc to another are not working correctly. I'll get it
eventually.)

So, it looks like, if we can agree on a sensible order for the docs, all
that we would have to maintain is a complete list of all of the files in
that preferred order, and someone (I'm volunteering) could do the
necessary magic (probably just a shell or Perl script, once I get this
figured out) to generate that document on demand.

More details as I have them.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://www.rcbowen.com/kenya/