httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Andy Doran - Fasthosts Internet Ltd." <andy.do...@fasthosts.co.uk>
Subject RE: Virtual hosts and bind
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:57:43 GMT
Hi all,

As a bit of an outsider to the Apache Docs project, my 2 euros are:
What kind of docs are we/you trying to write? Docs for penguin heads so that
they can squeeze out a few more features from Apache, or docs for numpties
who just want to get a webserver up and running?

To write a single document to appeal to both is essentially impossible; so,
do you write two separate documents?  Sounds like the work load is doubling
with this option. How about a few 'scenarios' which will cater for the bulk
of people who just want to do the basics.
eg. "I'm running an intranet and want to share docs internally"
"I want to set up a simple public webserver with no script support"
"I want an all singing and all dancing, cgi-enabled, Virtual Hosting
environment with .htaccess and frontpage support".

Too much hand-holding?  I'll leave that up to you to decide. Oh yes, please
don't shoot me down (unless you can do it in a funny way).

Andy