httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: pdf of docs
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:11:40 GMT

> From: James A Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]

> On Thursday 15 November 2001 10:23 pm, you wrote:
> > There was a rather old pdf of the docs in the dist/httpd/ directory.  I
> > moved it to old, because it is really too out of date to be useful and I
> > received a complaint about it in the bug database.  I don't
> think we have
> > any method of creating a decent pdf version of the docs.
>
> Well, if someone has a copy of Acrobat, it can turn a snapshot of the WWW
> site into a PDF, images, links and all. Alternatively, you could
> probably do
> something via Postscript and Ghostscript?

I have tried it.  I don't think the results are worth distributing.  It
winds up being HUGE, and more troublingly, completely out of order.  Acrobat
has some algorithm to discover links and add them in, but it does not
correspond to what we would think of as a nature order.  I have thought of
two potential solutions:

1. Manually reording each time we create a PDF.  This would be hours of
work, and there is no way I am going to do it.

2. Create a comprehensive site-map that lists every page on the site in the
order we think they should appear.  Then conceivably (I haven't tested this)
Acrobat could be instructed to put the pages in the order of the site-map.

Joshua.