httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James A Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: pdf of docs
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:40:18 GMT
On Thursday 15 November 2001 11:11 pm, you wrote:
> > From: James A Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]
> >
> > On Thursday 15 November 2001 10:23 pm, you wrote:
> > > There was a rather old pdf of the docs in the dist/httpd/ directory.  I
> > > moved it to old, because it is really too out of date to be useful and
> > > I received a complaint about it in the bug database.  I don't
> >
> > think we have
> >
> > > any method of creating a decent pdf version of the docs.
> >
> > Well, if someone has a copy of Acrobat, it can turn a snapshot of the WWW
> > site into a PDF, images, links and all. Alternatively, you could
> > probably do
> > something via Postscript and Ghostscript?
>
> I have tried it.  I don't think the results are worth distributing.  It
> winds up being HUGE, and more troublingly, completely out of order.

Huge? Hmmm.... in theory, it shouldn't be (much) bigger than the source...

> Acrobat has some algorithm to discover links and add them in, but it does
> not correspond to what we would think of as a nature order.  I have thought
> of two potential solutions:
>
> 1. Manually reording each time we create a PDF.  This would be hours of
> work, and there is no way I am going to do it.

Ouch. Yes, that one's out, unless someone has insane amounts of time free :)

> 2. Create a comprehensive site-map that lists every page on the site in the
> order we think they should appear.  Then conceivably (I haven't tested
> this) Acrobat could be instructed to put the pages in the order of the
> site-map.

Alternatively, perhaps once the docs are in your XML format, a script could
generate a LaTeX form, which is then nice and easy to convert to PDF or
PostScript?

James.