httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James A Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: First cut at a redesign for httpd.apache.org
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:23:05 GMT
On Friday 02 November 2001 3:33 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> [...]

Nice and simple indeed. In fact, almost byte-by-byte the same as the HTML I
have here for the same job, making the whole comparison almost redundant :)

> This allows us in the future to make arbitrary changes to the
> look/feel/structure of the site without touching the source files.  From an
> xml source there are also lots of choices for the transformation
> (xsl,anakia,etc), so we are not locked into a particular tool.
>
> I have done sites with extensive SSI, and I have to say that xml
> transformations seem to be much cleaner and more flexible.

It does look like a good setup. As I say, you can achieve almost exactly the
same results with SSI+CSS, but there's little point changing from one to the
other...

The one change I would suggest is making the transformation produce CSS-based
XHTML; I've done a version of the front page which Validates perfectly as
XHTML1 Strict and still renders reasonably on Netscape 4, using purely CSS
for style control. I think I'll have a play with the XML system myself over
the next few days, time permitting...

James.