httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: pdf of docs
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:53:31 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> > > There was a rather old pdf of the docs in the dist/httpd/
> > > directory.  I moved it to old, because it is really too
> > > out of date to be useful and I received a complaint about
> > > it in the bug database.

I would *really* rather we didn't start deleting/moving stuff
until we have worthwhile replacements..  You've now put us
without any PDF docco anyone can reasonably find, with no
prospects for fixing the situation. :-)  As for out-of-dateness..
has the docco *really* changed that much?

That file was created with Acrobat's Web-suck feature, and then
the pages were re-ordered.  It was a PITA to be sure.

> 1. Manually reording each time we create a PDF.  This would be
>    hours of work, and there is no way I am going to do it.

Indeed it would be (I know, having done it) -- but how often does
it need to be done?

> 2. Create a comprehensive site-map that lists every page on the
>    site in the order we think they should appear.  Then conceivably
>    (I haven't tested this) Acrobat could be instructed to put the
>    pages in the order of the site-map.

I wouldn't bet on it.  A third option would be to use the site-map
(which is a good idea, but more hours of work) into some form
that would be usable by FOP or some other of the Apache publishing
helpers.
--
#ken	P-)}