httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: Virtual hosts and bind
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 02:41:18 GMT

I think he is just confused and or frustrated with the fact that Apache can
be configured in so many ways. This is great for people that are already
familiar with the server and need that extra power/ configuration options.

Many of the users, however just want it "to work". They dont want to read
that you can do something three different ways or about some obscure cases.
They just want a step by step guide on what they need to do.

Just take a look at the logging directives for example:

LogFormat allows you to have a logging format and a nickname or
just take a nickname or just take a logging format.
If you have the logging format and hte nickname, then it does not have any
secondary effects. If you have only the nicknmae or the format then it will
set the format for the next TransferLog directive. TransferLog is just a
special case of CustomLog.
Then in turn CustomLog can accept either a format string or a nickname.

This allows you much more flexibility but it obscures how to just log stuff
to a file, which is what most people want. It will be much more easier if:

LogFormat only takes two arguments, format and nickname
CustomLog only takes a nickname argument, previously defined on a LogFormat
TransferLog is removed, since is a subset of CustomLog.

I have the feeling that what most users will ever need from Apache is 25% of
all the available directives. All the other 75% is nice and it may be
required in some situations, but I doubt many people use it at all.