httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: pdf of docs
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:37:07 GMT
On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 10:12:01PM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > OK, the best thing that I'm able to find at the moment is something
> > called htmldoc (http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/) which does HTML->PDF
> > conversion. It looks good. The only thing that is non-obvious is how to
> > get it to do things in a sensible order, and I am having a little
> > trouble with links from one document to another. (It's all one PDF, but
> > links from one doc to another are not working correctly. I'll get it
> > eventually.)
> >
> > So, it looks like, if we can agree on a sensible order for the docs, all
> > that we would have to maintain is a complete list of all of the files in
> > that preferred order, and someone (I'm volunteering) could do the
> > necessary magic (probably just a shell or Perl script, once I get this
> > figured out) to generate that document on demand.
>
> My first cut at this is available at http://apacheadmin.com/docs.pdf.bz2
> It's a little over 1MB bzipped, and nearly 2 uncompressed. There's a
> little trouble with links - sometimes they get converted to "internal
> link", which works, while other times they appear to get converted to
> HTML references, which don't work. But apart from that, and some trouble
> that it seemed to have with the tables in the mod_rewrite docs, it looks
> like we can generate a PDF without much trouble. Please let me know what
> you think.

Looks good, but rough.  =)  (htmldoc is GPLed, so we can fix bugs
in the tool if need be.)

Sporadic notes:
- Bookmarks aren't done right.  It stops too soon.  Ideally, it
  should only be an HTML page per bookmark.  (Maybe a level
  deeper, but I doubt we want that?)
- Whatever is happening around page 101 isn't nice.
- Is this Apache 2.0 or 1.3?  I saw a note in there about Apache
  2.0?

But, it looks like it is a definite starting point.  -- justin