httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: tables
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:19:56 GMT
From: "Joshua Slive" <>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 12:54 PM

> Just something to throw out to the sharks.
> There seems to be an unwritten rule that <table>s are banned from the httpd
> docs.  I guess this is not surprising since some of the docs were written
> back in a time where table support in browsers could not be counted on.  The
> result is some ugly monstrosities like the listing of % directives in
> mod_log_config.html.
> I suggest we do away with this rule and use <table>s where appropriate.  (I
> just committed one to mod_headers.html.)  There are still people using
> browsers like lynx that do not handle tables, but if we use tables
> intelligently, those people should still be able to use the docs.

Huh?  I believe lynx has handled tables for some time now.

But absolutely, tables are worthwhile, let's just not go overboard and hose
the rendering time.  In other words;

  lists for lists

  tables for multicolumn data

And not go overboard on enties for table tags when CSS should be used instead.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message