httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Note about MD5 Authentication
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:50:44 GMT
Sure it deserves mention.  You forgot to share a critical detail, which
version of Opera introduced MD5 support?  If there is a changes log, it
might be detailed there.

We would like to include it in the list, but we would also like to assure
we've informed the user which version started supoorting it, to save on
"It's Broken!" bug reports.

Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: "Niklas Olsson" <no@opera.com>
To: <apache-docs@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 6:50 AM
Subject: Note about MD5 Authentication

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this comment but I couldn't find a better
one. Apologies in advance to anyone
disagreeing with my choise of forum.

> Anyway. When setting up the mod_auth_digest module in an  Apache 1.3.20 a few days ago
I was really surprised to se a note in the
documentation of the module

>     <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_auth_digest.html>
>
> stating that the only major browsers supporting MD5 Authentication were IE 5.0 and Amaya.
This is certainly not the truth. The
most excellent browser Opera, from Opera Software, has supported MD5 Authentication for quite
some time now (probably longer than
anyone I'd think). And if Amaya deserves the label 'major browser' then so does Opera, wouldn't
you think?