httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Fw: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf ldap.conf proxy.conf ssl.conf httpd-std.conf httpd-win.conf
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:26:25 GMT
Relevant suggestions for all apache-docco hackers :)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Hubert" <eric.hubert@gmx.de>
To: <dev@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 6:05 PM
Subject: RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf ldap.conf proxy.conf ssl.conf httpd-std.conf
httpd-win.conf

Hi folks,

I don't know whether a user's estimation is valuable, but I have to
totally agree with Joshua. I wouldn't like to look over a couple
of different configuration files.
It is also important to keep the httpd-std.conf as short as
possible. Otherwise it is only scaring new users.
Example configurations are also very useful but shouldn't mixed up
with the httpd-std.conf.
I'd appreciate it if the user could access sample configurations
from the corresponding modul's documentation pages, which show how
to use the module's directives in common contexts.
The user can quickly find the necessary information and simply
paste it in the appropriate section in httpd.conf.
>>From my point of view (and that's definitly a user's view), the
user gets confused as more files are present in ./conf and only
tries to start quickly without having a look into the manual.
In the majority of cases this ends up in spending more time on
the whole task.

Just my thoughts of the thing.

Bye,
Eric