httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:39:14 GMT
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I forwarded it because it does point out a common problem people have.
> Someone (perhaps their ISP) tells them to "do it with .htaccess".
> They then come to the docs, and can't figure out what the heck
> that means.  There are only a couple places in the docs that tell people
> what an .htaccess file is and how to use it.
>
> I don't know what the solution is, but it is a problem I have heard more
> than once.

Is there any document that summarizes "these are the directives that are
valid from .htaccess" to keep you from having to look through the
documentation of every single directive in every single module to figure
it out?  Are there any samples of how to do the easy .htaccess tasks like
setting up a plain and simple mod_auth or mod_access configuration?  I
used to get asked these things ALL THE TIME by my users when I was a
webmaster... I had to just have a stock .htaccess I could give them to
learn from.  A document along those lines if it doesn't already exist
would probably go a long way...

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com