httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Regarding lower-case HTML tags
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 02:51:34 GMT

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I've been using tidy, from the w3c, for a while now, to do
> pretty-reformatting of HTML documents. One of the things that it does is
> lower-case HTML tags. I was wondering, in light of comments made a week
> or two ago, whether it would be worthwhile to do this with files in the
> docs as I a working with them?
>
> The downside is that it will create a diff in which every line in the
> file changes (in most cases), and I did not want to start submitting
> enormous diffs, without running this past folks first.

A similar question just threatened to start a flamewar on dev@httpd ;-)

My opinion is that it is not a big deal either way.  (It is not like
source code where you potentially mess up everyone's patches.)  But
I prefer not to unnecessarily reformat.  The only time I do reformat is
when the existing format makes the doc very hard to work with.

In other words, if it makes it significantly easier for you to work
with, then go ahead and reformat.  But don't reformat just for the
sake of consistency.  (I don't care about consistency here because
it is invisible to the end user.)

Of course, others are bound to have other opinions.

Joshua.