httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: New Dinamic Load Balancing system for Apache
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:57:53 GMT
From: "David N. Welton" <davidw@dedasys.com>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:48 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
> > This sounds like an interesting project.  Understand that the ASF
> > does not endorse or adopt any project development under the GNU
> > regime, simply because it interferes with commercial distribution,
> > which the ASF actively encourages.
>
> To be precise, and a bit picky, the GNU license does not interfere
> directly with commercial distribution (see Redhat for example), it
> interferes with proprietary distribution.  Of course, a lot of
> commercial distributions want to be proprietary, and the GNU license
> does hinder that, whereas the Apache license does not.

In fairness, you are 100% correct.

However, this wasn't meant to start a license flame war.  Can we please
move that aspect of this discussion back to members@, if anyone wants to
follow up, and leave apache-docs to hack on their interests, whether they
are ASF non-GNU or external GNU projects, please?

Bill