httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/7410: Documentation regarding Win32 Apache Server service installation is incorrect
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:47:39 GMT
From: "John" <my_wan@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 12:21 AM

> I'm not sure what all I might be able to offer but I run Apache 1.3.20 on
> Win98 and had no problem installing as a sevice, running virtualhost, cgi
> script, etc. The only glitch has been an inability to prevent users from
> downloading files from the cgi-bin. I rarely resort to the docs until I have
> a particular problem but I presume you are speaking of "win_service.html".
> I've never dealt with cvs before but if I understand right your referring to
> the fact that when installed as a sevice it does so for all users and not
> just the current user.

Yes - and I'm only dealing with the fact that it isn't 'well documented'.

'As a user' is _NEVER_ meant to run as a service, you simply have to click
on the 'run apache in a console window' or however that shortcut reads.
The user -could- copy that to the startup group if they wanted.

> The docs deal with issues of user accounts for
> NT/2000 under the paragraph heading "User Account for Apache Service to Run
> As (NT/2000)". It would seem to be a simple matter to change this behavior
> manually by logging on as the user you want Apache running on, deleteing the
> service startup from
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\"
> and adding it to
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\", at least
> on Win98.

You would _never_ want to.  The current behavior assures that the server starts
(when installed for all users)

 --- even if nobody is there when the machine ups and reboots out of nowhere.
     (say a power failure or something like that.)

Otherwise, it's always clearer to the user to copy that start in console
over to the startup group.

> If this is what you are refering to I can test it and write an
> addendum for "win_service.html" detailing the proceedure for various
> winboxes. If my work is satisfactory I am willing to consider other projects
> along these lines.

No sense, either they 'want it' or they don't.  I don't believe in 'hiding'
stuff over in HKCU\M\W\CV\Run since the user can't easily move it around.

Bill