httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: server-parsed
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2001 20:20:49 GMT
From: "Rich Bowen" <rbowen@rcbowen.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 2:02 PM

> I have a related question, however. Why are AddOutputFilter and
> SetOutputFilter in different modules? Don't they do very similar
> things? Is there something more fundamental that I am missing WRT the
> arrangement of various things in various places.

No they don't.  This was even broken with SetHandler until I moved it a few
weeks back.

AddOutputFilter _only_ works if mime negotation (mod_mime) runs.  If the user
disables mod_mime, AddOutputFilter is also disabled.

SetOutputFilter (and SetHandler as of 2.0.25, for that matter) can be used
without mod_mime, and will be by some users.  It has nothing to do with mime
negotation, and (in the case of filters) may be used to set filters in addition
to the mime AddOutputFilters.

Bill