httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: What's the name
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:16:32 GMT
At 11:09 AM -0400 2001/08/17, Joshua Slive wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>  Joshua Slive wrote:
>>  >
>>  > What is the name of this thing we are documenting?
>>  >
>>  > 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
>>  > this project?
>>  > a) Apache HTTP Server
>>
>>  That is the one..
>
>Right.  The problem is that this is rather long and stodgey for use in the
>docs.  It has no obvious abbreviation, other than "Apache" (which means
>ASF) or "the Server" (which is ambiguous; does that mean the hardware,
>the OS, or httpd?).
>
>Not to go overboard on this issue, but let's take an example:
>"Anyone who can write to the directory where Apache is writing a log file
>can almost certainly gain access to the uid that the server is started as,
>which is normally root."
>
>"the server" should probably be replaced with "httpd".  But what
>should be done with "Apache"?
>
>I'm starting to lean towards just using "Apache" as the short-form
>of "Apache HTTP Server" wherever the meaning is not ambiguous.

	I like httpd -- I also am bothered by using a name that's
close to an executable, but not quite right. I don't like "Apache" by
itself, because I  think we should try not to cloud the line between
the original (httpd) project, and other Apache projects.

						Chris
--
It's Out! Mastering Mac OS X: <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/mmosx/>