httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: What's the name
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:09:50 GMT

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > What is the name of this thing we are documenting?
> >
> > 2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
> > this project?
> > a) Apache HTTP Server
>
> That is the one..

Right.  The problem is that this is rather long and stodgey for use in the
docs.  It has no obvious abbreviation, other than "Apache" (which means
ASF) or "the Server" (which is ambiguous; does that mean the hardware,
the OS, or httpd?).

Not to go overboard on this issue, but let's take an example:
"Anyone who can write to the directory where Apache is writing a log file
can almost certainly gain access to the uid that the server is started as,
which is normally root."

"the server" should probably be replaced with "httpd".  But what
should be done with "Apache"?

I'm starting to lean towards just using "Apache" as the short-form
of "Apache HTTP Server" wherever the meaning is not ambiguous.

Joshua.