httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: Auto-index sorting in 1.3
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 00:20:42 GMT
On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> <Quote Rich Bowen>
> 2.0 now has a very nice explanation of how the automatic directory
> ordering and searching works, but there is, as far as I can find, no
> description of this behavior in the 1.3 docs. I'm writing such a
> description, and wondered where the best place to put it would be. In
> the 2.0 docs, it is stuck in at the top of mod_autoindex.html, which
> seems like a somewhat logical place, but means that you have to scroll
> for some time to get to the listing of directives. However, if this is
> where folks want it, I'll put it in there.
> </Quote>
> The directive listing should not be shoved down.  If the "Summary" grows
> beyond a few paragraphs, then it should be split into sections and placed
> below the directive listing.  So it should be
> 1. Header stuff
> 2. Summary (1-3 paragraphs)
> 3. Directive Listing
> 4. More details (as many sections as required)
> 5. Directive definitions.

OK, I can try to do that with the 1.3 docs. Do you want to rearrange
the 2.0 docs under this scheme? The directive listing is 2 or 3
screens down. It's really good information. If it just needs to be
moved, I'd like to see where you are going to put it.

Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go
 --Pilgrim (Enya - A Day Without Rain)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message