httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject What's the name
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:10:05 GMT
Just a couple questions to throw out in the hope of achieving some level
of consistency in the docs:

What is the name of this thing we are documenting?  It previously has been
"Apache".  However, this name now has a broader meaning in the context of
the Apache Software Foundation.  I have been trying to reduce my use of
this term when speaking of this specific project, because I believe it
takes away from other projects in the Foundation.

1. Should we try not to use just "Apache" when referring to the HTTP
Server?

>From my understanding, the proper name of this server is the "Apache HTTP
Server".  I have been using this when possible.  A common short form is
"Apache HTTPD", which is slightly less unwieldy.  However, Chris Pepper
suggested that I should be writing "Apache HTTP server" and "Apache
httpd".  I can seen an argument for these alternative forms.  This brings
up the question:

2. Which of the following should we use in the docs to refer to
this project?
a) Apache HTTP Server
b) Apache HTTP server
c) Apache HTTPD