httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <sl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/mod mod_autoindex.html
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 02:07:05 GMT
<Quote RoUS>
.en-gb should use UK spellings.  .en-us should use US ones.
Just plain .en should be able to use either or both.
</Quote>

I have no intention of getting into a war over this.  I agree that it is a
relatively minor point, and I would never think of rejecting anyone's
contribution just because they did not
use the "approved" spelling.  Preventing someone from working, of their own
initiative, to improve consistency is another matter.

On this issue, Ken, you are wrong.  The language ".en" is not
a license to use any old hodgepodge of english; it is simmply an unspecified
dialect.  Consistency in presentation -- including language dialect and
spelling -- is an element of effective communication.  Consult any usage or
style guide you care to.  A document which mixes dialects and spellings
looks unprofessional and is more difficult to read.

It seems to me that the only person who ever gets pissed off about this
issue is you, Ken.

Joshua.