httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New member thoughts.
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:16:42 GMT
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Chris Johnson wrote:

>      I'm (re)reading the mod_ssl pages.  It may be here but I haven't
> found it.

Ahh, I see modssl.org is back up now.  Here's the link:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC47

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a pointer to that in the Apache docs,
because it is probably the single most frequently asked question about
SSL.  It's also difficult to explain, but it's true.

>      Please pardon my logic quibble but they can't be mutually
> exclusive since I have gotten to work.  It just took a while to figure
> out which magic incantation to use where.

You might *think* you got it to work, but nope, sorry.  If you have more
than one name-based SSL virtual host on the same IP/port, every single one
of them will use the configuration of the one that comes first in the
config file.  If you only have one SSL virtual host, then you have no need
for name-based virtual hosting in the first place.  I think recent
mod_ssl's actually give you a warning in the error log if you attempt to
have multiple name-based SSL vhosts, but your version might not.

--Cliff