httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Apache 2.0 final ?
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:10:41 GMT
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Padwa, Daniel wrote:

> Another spin on the same question: when do the core developers (you know who
> you are) think that the internal APIs have stabilized enough so that effort
> expended porting home-grown modules won't need to be thrown away when 2.0
> settles down?
>
> Some of us (I don't have enough data to say "many") can't put the server
> through heavy burn-in without local modules, and can't justify porting those
> to a not-settled set of core APIs.
>
> Or did I miss the announcement that we had passed this point?   It doesn't
> need to be an unbreakable promise, just some guidance.

Well, there was no announcement, but as I personally see it, the API's
haven't changed significantly in quite a while now.  I'd personally feel
comfortable going ahead and porting a module.  The majority of the work
that's been going on for the last month or two (at least) has been in
fixing bugs and improving performance... not overhauling API's.

That's not to say that a function prototype won't change now and then...
I'm about to do this myself on one function, for example.  But when this
happens, it will tend to be small-scale, not massive, I think.

[PS: don't read the "Converting Apache 1.3 Modules to Apache 2.0"
developer doc on the website at the moment; I discovered yesterday that
it's way, way out of date... heads up, doc guys.]

That's my take on it, anyway.

--Cliff