httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: One thing missing from STATUS for 1.3...
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:48:45 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> My opinion is that we should just leave this as-is in 1.3.  1.3 is in
> "maintenance mode" at the moment, so major changes are strongly
> discouraged.

Au contraire.  It is in maintenance mode only because everyone's
attention has shifted to 2.0.  If there is a commmunity desirous
of continuing to work on 1.3 -- which is going to be out there
for a looooong time yet -- it is welcome to do so.  However,
it nowadays carries the additional burden of committing to bringing
any changes forward into 2.0 -- having fixes or features in 1.3
that are not also in 2.0 will not be allowed.

> We have kind of ignored that restrictions for docs, since so
> much work needs to be done.  However, moving around man pages
> would involve changes in the config system, and we probably don't
> want to do that.

I do not think the STATUS item refers to moving them, but to
getting their HTML representation into the HTML docco tree.
Which can be done as an addition w/o requiring any breakage to
existing stuff.  It would not be good to *move* them, but *adding*
the HTMLised man pages would be good.

In any event, someone with energy to work on the docco stuff is
always welcome.  I will pursue getting Jason commit access.
I have been remiss in this area lately; is there anyone else who
should get commit access at this point who does not yet have it?

Jason, remember that you need to test things locally before
committing; checking in broken stuff is a no-no.  And things
about which you are not certain, which you suspect might be
controversial, need to be floated on this list first.
--
#ken    P-)}

Apache Software Foundation         http://www.apache.org/
"Apache Server for Dummies"        http://Apache-Server.Com/