httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: 2.0 install.html revamp
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 21:36:22 GMT
At 1:51 PM -0700 2001/05/14, Joshua Slive wrote:
>On Mon, 14 May 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>  Joshua Slive wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I don't really see the point in having complete documentation
>>  > both in the manual and in the INSTALL file.
>>
>>  There should be a file that can be viewed in one xterm while
>>  going through the installation process in another.  It can be
>>  terse, but having to have a browser running to get this info
>>  is a bit much.  INSTALL should be this file.
>
>I understand your point, although I think most people would
>just use "lynx docs/manual/install.html" in their xterm.

	FYI: Darwin and Solaris 8 don't include lynx, and in single
user mode it may be difficult or impossible for the user to bring up
X to get at the Netscape (or IE on Mac OS X).

	This is a major issue for patching Solaris, although I don't
see it as key for installing Apache. I'd expect users to have a
working web browser by the time they get to installing server
software.

	I don't have any problem with expecting people to print out
the (HTML) doc ahead of time, if for some reason they have to install
in a nongraphical mode.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>