httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <l...@hyperreal.org>
Subject RE: Complete set of custom error messages?
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 20:05:08 GMT
According to Ian Holsman:

>  but then the question is how does a 'french' version of apache use the
>  french error message for 'unable to include...'
>  are you wanting apache to implement some kind of string resource table and
>  the code actually to grab the string from there instead of it (the english
>  version) being hard-coded ?

Well, I think we are not talking about all error messages of Apache,
but just the ones like a 404 error reply.

A long time ago I've created a package for almost all error messages
in german, english, french and spanish. It's still available at
http://www.home.unix-ag.org/sfx/apache/customerror/customerror.tar.gz
(doesn't include the french files). But the documenation and intro page at
http://www.home.unix-ag.org/sfx/apache/customerror/
is currently only available in german.

I've used SSI to separate the actual HTML markup from the error messages
itself and to make the package easy to install/configure and of course
to use some of the SSI functionality.

Here are two examples how the result may look like:
http://www.home.unix-ag.org/404    [only german, english]
http://www.cablewireless.de/404    [german, english, spanish, frensh]

But the package is more or less unmaintained at the moment. It could
be updated by adding some more tricks which are now possible with
newer version of Apache, e.g. use of the ERROR_NOTES variable.
And some of the newer error messages are missing of course.

Maybe my stuff can be used as starting point for a default
package for the Apache 2.0 distribution.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht            - As I said before, I never repeat myself.
lars@hyperreal.org