httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: 2.0 install.html revamp
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 20:51:34 GMT
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > I don't really see the point in having complete documentation
> > both in the manual and in the INSTALL file.
>
> There should be a file that can be viewed in one xterm while
> going through the installation process in another.  It can be
> terse, but having to have a browser running to get this info
> is a bit much.  INSTALL should be this file.

I understand your point, although I think most people would
just use "lynx docs/manual/install.html" in their xterm.

My problem is that I'm not sure I see a middle ground for INSTALL.
People who want the quick and terse should be running
./configure --help.

Here is what I quickly hacked INSTALL down to.  If this is not sufficient,
can you (or anyone) suggest what you think should be in here.

(I don't think the stuff about FreeBSD belongs in here, but I'm not sure
where else to put it.)

  APACHE INSTALLATION

  Overview for the impatient
  --------------------------

     $ ./configure --prefix=PREFIX
     $ make
     $ make install
     $ PREFIX/bin/apachectl start

     NOTES: * PREFIX is not the string "PREFIX". Instead use the Unix
              filesystem path under which Apache should be installed. For
              instance use "/usr/local/apache2" for PREFIX above.

            * If you are building on FreeBSD, you should add the argument
              --with-mpm=prefork to the configure line.  The Apache Group
              has discovered that threads do not work well with Apache
              on FreeBSD.  For that reason, we disable threads by default
              on FreeBSD, and you need to build the prefork MPM.  If you
              wish to try to make threads work on FreeBSD, they can be
              re-enabled by using --enable-threads

            * If you are a developer using the CVS version of Apache,
              you will need to run ./buildconf before anything else.

  For more information

  The easiest way to find all of the configuration flags for Apache
  2.0 is to run "./configure --help".

  Installation and configuration documentation is available in
  docs/manual/install.html or at
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html

  Thanks for using the Apache HTTP Server, Version 2.0.

                                     The Apache Software Foundation
                                     http://www.apache.org/