httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_cgid docs
Date Sat, 05 May 2001 22:24:59 GMT
On Sat, 5 May 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > - Under what circumstances is mod_cgid used and when is mod_cgi
> > used?
>
> Mod_cgid should be used whenever you are using a threaded MPM on Unix.
> The reason for the module, is that Unix platforms historically are really
> bad at forking threaded processes.  They tend to create all the threads,
> then kill off all but one in the new process.  The IPC is less expensive
> than this horribly inefficient forking.

Sorry, my questions wasn't worded correctly.  What I wanted to know is, in
the current build system, is mod_cgid automatically chosen over mod_cgi if
and only if a threaded mpm is used or is there some other algorithm?

> > - Are there any security concerns related to the value of ScriptSock?
> > (ie. Should we warn against placing it in a non-root writable
> > directory?)
>
> The ScriptSock should be placed in a non-root writable directory.  That
> socket is used to communicate with the CGI daemon process, so there are
> definately security concerns around using it.

I'm guessing you mean to say that Scriptsock should NOT be placed in
a directory where non-root users can write.

Thanks for the info.

Joshua.