httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Complete set of custom error messages?
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 18:48:29 GMT

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Karsten Engelke wrote:
> I would volunteer to gather all kinds of languages but I don't think I
> am qualified, because I absolutely have no clue how to do this. =)
> But if this is too time consuming for the people already working at
> the documentation project, I am willing to put some effort into this.
>
> I started this and being a bit persistent I don't want to give the
> impression that I just post some mails and then let someone else do
> all the work. =)

Well, If I were to speculate on what needs to be done to get this going, I
would say:

1. Create a directory httpd-2.0/docs/htdocs/errordocs/

2. Start by putting english error pages for the most common errors
in this directory.  Probably 404.html.en would be a good place to
begin.

3. Change the files in httpd-2.0/docs/conf/ to activate the
new errors.  This probably involves
a. Making sure we have SSI and MultiViews support in the errordocs
directory.
b. Adding "ErrorDocument 404 /errordocs/404", etc.

If you want to start by creating some sample english pages,
then that should get the ball rolling.

If you need help getting started, I would start by reading:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/custom_errordocs.html

Joshua.