httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: 2.0 install.html revamp
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 23:15:52 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> I understand your point, although I think most people would
> just use "lynx docs/manual/install.html" in their xterm.

For another thing, it is one of the canonical files in an open-source
package.  As has been pointed out, not every system has a browser
available.

> My problem is that I'm not sure I see a middle ground for INSTALL.
> People who want the quick and terse should be running
> ./configure --help.

That is not terse, that is abstruse. :-)

> Here is what I quickly hacked INSTALL down to.  If this is
> not sufficient, can you (or anyone) suggest what you think
> should be in here.

It looks good, although I think a brief note about doing it
as superuser might be in order.  (I think the default port
selection is still different based upon the configure-time
UID.)  You might also head it with 'Quick and Dirty Installation
Instructions; for more handholding, read the full installation
docco.'  Just so no-one's expectations are mis-set. :-)

> (I don't think the stuff about FreeBSD belongs in here, but
> I'm not sure where else to put it.)

No, I think it belongs here.
--
#ken    P-)}