httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <li...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: "It Worked" -> prefaq
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 23:25:16 GMT
From: "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 6:00 PM

> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > Please go back and read the discussion about this.  AFAICR
> > it was pretty much a consensus that that was the right page.
> >
> > I receive all the mail for apache@apache.org, which is where
> > those clewless ones send, and the preFAQ page is EXACTLY the
> > correct page for 98% of them.
>
> I admit that I didn't pay enough attention to that discussion. For the
> reasons I said, I don't agree with its outcome, but I don't have a big
> problem with it.  I am also perfectly willing to accept your jugdment on
> the subject.  The big problem is that the top few paragraphs of the prefaq
> make no sense in the context of someone linking from the "it worked" page.
> They specifically assume that you were directed to the page by an email
> message.
>
> Quick fix: change the top few paragraphs of the prefaq.

Heck, just as long as you start with this sentiment:

"Your divine fate/karmic balance/essential humanity depends upon your reading
this short list of questions and answers.  It undoubtedly answers the question
you are about to email.  Read this first.  If the question is found here,
that email will be ignored."

"Heck, all your emails are answered by voulenteers.  There is no staff paid
to spend their time answering these questions.  So please let's entertain one
another and email interesting, new questions instead of these old ones."