httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <>
Subject Re: Please include more docs for .htaccess
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:36:43 GMT
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Ben Hutchison wrote:

> I found the information I really needed at CERN (its shown below). Could
> this info be added to the apache docs please?
> Directives
> The .htaccess file can contain the following APACHE core directives,
> provided they are allowed by the server that will parse the .htaccess
> file. We list here directives that work at
> Authorization directives:
> AuthGroupFile, AuthName, AuthType, AuthUserFile, require, etc...
> Document Types Directives:
> AddEncoding, , AddType, etc....

Actually, depending upon the setting of AllowOverride in the main server
configuration, many other directives can be included in .htaccess as well,
even ones that have nothing to do with access/authentication.  More
specifically, any directive listed in the documentation indicating
.htaccess as a valid context can be used.  These basically line up with
the set of directives that can be used within <Directory> blocks in the
main server configuration.

   Cliff Woolley
   Charlottesville, VA

To unsubscribe, e-mail: