httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: prototype FAQ
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:52:25 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, David Reid wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> Thanks for your summary.  Have we at least agreed that we want to move to
> some sort of generated FAQ?  If we have then I'll volunteer to have a look
> at some packages and post some results here.  If we haven't reached that
> point yet then I'm +1 on #1 for the time being as it seems to have the
> lowest work/results ratio while keeping us moving forward.

I'm happy to see someone investigate this.  I can tell you what I found in
my very quick search.

There seem to be two basic types of programs available.  One is
essentially just some tools to help you generate a usenet-type FAQ.  I
have a feeling that this type of tool would need heavy customizing for our
purposes, and even then might not be appropriate.

The second type of program is the "FAQ-O-Matic" type dynamic FAQ
generator.  This type of program is meant to encourage user input into the
FAQ.  I think it would be great to have something like this for Apache,
but it could only replace the current FAQ if it had the ability to tightly
control the user input so that we are able to highlight the FAQs that we
find most important and assure that they are easy to find.  The one that I
find most promising is Jyve:
http://java.apache.org/jyve/index.html
But it doesn't seem ready for prime-time.

(Even if we can't replace the "official" FAQ with a FAQ-O-Matic, I would
still like to see us implement something like this to leverage the
knowledge of all the Apache users.)

Joshua.