httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject What should the FAQ contain? (was Re: Proposal: Trash the 2.0 FAQ.)
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:17:33 GMT

There seems to be general support for starting from scratch with the 2.0
FAQ, subject to first posting what I plan to keep.

However, I would like to see some opinions on the question raised by Bill
on what criteria should be used for including things in the FAQ.

Summary (please correct me if I'm not being fair):

Option 1:

- Include only "Showstopper" FAQs which prevent people from using Apache.
I believe this would mean that the FAQ would contain a few of the
questions in the current categories C and D and nothing else.  New
documents could be created for "Background information" (Part A), and
other information could be moved to more appropriate places in the docs.

Option 2:

- Include questions which are "frequently asked" in the newsgroups, bug
database, or the apache@apache.org addresses.  Include these things in the
FAQ only if they cannot be adequately addressed elsewhere, either because
they don't fit in any other documents, or they need to be repeated for
added emphasis.

My personal opinion is that, while "showstoppers" should be given
priority, Option 1 is too restrictive.

Other opinions?

Joshua