httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Proposal: Trash the 2.0 FAQ.
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:01:42 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Chris Pepper wrote:

> 	This seems reasonable, but raises the likelihood that the 1.3
> FAQ will be used purely for 2.0 by some (eventually, most?) people.
>
> 	Can we add something to the (1.3) FAQ identifying status of
> individual issues in 2.0? Ideally, I'd like to have [1.3 only] or
> [fixed in 2.0] in the TOC and inline titles, to make scanning through
> it easier for 2.0 users, but this probably shouldn't appear until 2.0
> is released (at least at 'beta'/external level). This might also make
> it easier to build a new 2.0 FAQ, or might become irrelevant if the
> rest of the 2.0 docs are much better.

What you are proposing would be nice, but I think it is pretty much
impossible to do well.

My idea about this is that, as 2.0 starts to get used, we can resurect any
FAQs that it turns out are still relevant.  (Or, better yet, fix the
documentation so that they FAQ won't be necessary.)  I am hoping that
depending on the 1.3 FAQ will be a short-term thing.  Otherwise, this idea
just makes things harder on users.

Joshua.