httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: prototype FAQ
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:27:23 GMT
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> I am still confused by your remarks about 'the state the 1.3
> FAQ is in;' I may have missed some messages, but I find that
> obscure.  What aspect of the State of the FAQ is bad?

I'm not saying the 1.3 FAQ sucks.  I'm saying two things:

1. I find it a little ugly and unwieldy to work with as an
2. I have some limited evidence that users find it difficult to find the
appropriate Q/A.  I'm guessing this is partly because of the "look" of the
document, partly because of the structure, and partly because of the sheer

Anyway, it seems that at least two people who's opinion I respect don't
really agree with my assessment, so I'm perfectly willing to believe that
I am wrong.  In that case, we can just stick with the 1.3 design.

Can you answer one question for me, mostly out of curiosity:  When do you
really find it useful to email or print the entire FAQ?  I talk about the
FAQ all the time, and I always just send a URL.

> Whatever.  Maybe the thing to do is to use XML with a transformation
> engine.

Yep... Same for the websites.  Unfortunately, there are so many options on
how to do this, and I know so little about it, that I can't drive that.
I'm hoping someone will pick that up eventually.

View raw message