httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: prototype FAQ
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:07:42 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > I would guess that a fair number of the FAQs that are asked on
> > usenet get asked not because people haven't bothered to look
> > at the FAQ, but rather because the FAQ is so unwieldy that they
> > gave up before they found the answer.
>
> I would strongly disagree.
>
> --------------
>
> And I agree with Ken here... I suspect the issues are:
>
> 1. They don't realize the FAQ exists
>
> 2. They don't know where to find it.
>
> 3. They don't care

All those are important too.  I said "a fair number", not "all" ;-)

I often answer newsgroup questions with "See: http://...FAQ.html#..."
and I have gotten a "fair number" of responses along the lines of "Thanks,
I looked at the FAQ but I missed that question/answer."

To address points 1 & 2, it certainly might be useful to have an official
ASF "Pointer to useful resources" periodic posting on the
comp.infosystems.www.servers... groups.

Joshua.