httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:56:16 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Eric Cholet wrote:
> "Jaime E . Villate" <villate@fe.up.pt>:
>   would it be OK if I added a
>   tag in the header of the pages I translate into Spanish?
>
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:
>   I agree wholeheartedly with your proposal.
>
> Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> followed up:
>   No. You should use Apache's configuration directives to get the right
>   charset in the HTTP response header. <meta http-equiv> is an abomination.
>
> Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>:
>   Oh, rot.  For one thing, this is the docs project; he does not
>   *HAVE* control over the config settings of the server.  For
>   another, a valid point was already made about the tag's usefulness
>  in a file: environment.
>
> I haven't seen any further follow ups. So, is it okay or not to use
> the META w/ charset tag ? I notice that it's already in use in some
> translated files.

Thanks for the summary.  I'd say go ahead and use the charset unless you
see more strong objections.  My only concern is that you make sure that
the default Apache configuration also sends the proper thing in the HTTP
headers.  I can't remember what it is sending at the moment for these
documents, but I think it is iso-9959-1 already.

Joshua.