httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: temporary solution to "no acceptable variants" problem.
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:12:57 GMT
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > Once again, for those that haven't been watching, this is to help the
> > thousands of people who are every day accessing httpd.apache.org/docs/
> > without english in their Accept-Language header.
>
> I do not remember that statistic..  Perhaps adding an ErrorDocument
> in the docs/.htaccess file would be useful as well, to clean up
> the text?

The problem is, there is just not enough information available to the
ErrorDocument.  In specific, the default error page lists the available
variants, but a custom ErrorDocument cannot do this.

Regarding the statistic, there are 3382 "no acceptable variant" errors in
/www/error_log for the twelve hours ending at 12pm PST today.  These came
from 1175 unique IP addresses and a quick skim of the lines tells me that
they are all from the httpd docs.

Joshua.