httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Eric Cholet <cho...@logilune.com>
Subject Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:30:50 GMT
On 02/18/01 10:26:30 -0800 Joshua Slive mumbled:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Eric Cholet wrote:
>
>> On 02/18/01 15:57:03 +0100 Herve Dumont mumbled:
>> > Maybe invoking.html should be renamed to invoking.html.en
>> > and added an invoking.html.html.
>>
>> Yes, Joshua's been doing this for other files.
>
> Oy, I hope this doesn't become "my job".  If nobody else gets around to
> it, I will do it eventually, but it is really a little bit of a pain.
> Would you be willing to do it if we had an "Adding a new translation"
> instruction document?  Perhaps Yoshiki (who is more of a cvs expert than
> me) and I could collaberate on that.

Oops, I didn't mean it that way... Sure, I'll do it for newly translated
pages following the way it's been done until now.

>> One thing: make sure that you always use HTML entities such as &eacute;
>> and do not use ISO-8859-1 characters instead. There has been some
>> discussion on this list about a way to allow us to use ISO-8859-1
>> characters directly, which would certainly make our life easier,
>> but AFAIK no conclusion has been reached yet and we must still use
>> entities exclusively.
>
> Could you remind me of the issue?  I don't think there is any problem with
> adding the META tags to the HTML, as long as we also send proper HTTP
> headers.

ISTR that some posters on this list were non adamant about adding charset
headers to the HTML, although I don't remember the details. If we can do
that it'll certainly make our lives much easier. I just don't remember
reading a clear consensus that we can drop using entities and use
ISO-8859-1.
If there is then I'm all for it.

--
Eric