httpd-docs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: prototype FAQ
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:16:26 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> 
> Re the numbering.  I did this for a specific reason: If we number
> the FAQ and people start referring to the numbers, then it becomes
> very difficult in the future to do any sort of reorganization.

Only if, as you say, you want to re-order the items.  I do not
regard that as a priority, personally.  The FAQ has been re-ordered
once in the last four years.  This will make twice.

> All questions have URLs, so the numbering shouldn't really be
> necessary.

Um, except that a) you need to type/paste the entire URL, and
b) there is no software-derivable relationship between the fragment
label and the question text.  If you want to use some sort of
non-numeric identifier for each question, so the URL becomes
easily derivable (such as 'faq.html#q23' from '23. Why foo?'),
cool.


> People have been saying that from at least the time I started
> watching the Apache project, and probably long before that.
> It has never happened.  In any case, I don't think it is a
> very useful thing to do.

*shrug*  All right, I will not argue this point.

> What are we losing with this?  Well, as I see it, one of the primary
> reasons that the 1.3 FAQ is unmanageable is this requirement.

Um, who has said it is unmanageable?  I think there have been
noises about there being too much stuff in it, but that is a
'function' issue, not a 'form' one.

> I would guess that a fair number of the FAQs that are asked on
> usenet get asked not because people haven't bothered to look
> at the FAQ, but rather because the FAQ is so unwieldy that they
> gave up before they found the answer.

I would strongly disagree.

> If you want something that can easily be posted to usenet and printed
> as a single page

I am willing to pass on the former, but not on the latter.  The
appearance on screen can be small pages, but there *must* be a link
to a single monolithic page for mailing and printing.

> I'm certainly not going to create some new SSI monstrosity.

If you are implying that the current FAQ is such, then I take personal
exception to this remark.

> However, we will be back in the same unmanageable situation
> in a year or so.

Again, what aspect is the 'unmanageable' one?
-- 
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar                    <http://Golux.Com/coar/>
Apache Software Foundation  <http://www.apache.org/>
"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/>
"Apache Server Unleashed"   <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq.  Attend
only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!

Mime
View raw message