httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Eric Cholet <>
Subject Re: and
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:45:26 GMT
(sorry for replying to myself, I know it' bad form)

--On 18/02/01 19:30 +0100 Eric Cholet mumbled:
>-Joshua wrote:
>> Could you remind me of the issue?  I don't think there is any problem
>> with adding the META tags to the HTML, as long as we also send proper
>> HTTP headers.
> ISTR that some posters on this list were non adamant about adding charset
> headers to the HTML, although I don't remember the details. If we can do
> that it'll certainly make our lives much easier. I just don't remember
> reading a clear consensus that we can drop using entities and use
> ISO-8859-1. If there is then I'm all for it.

"Jaime E . Villate" <>:
  would it be OK if I added a
  tag in the header of the pages I translate into Spanish?

"William A. Rowe, Jr." <>:
  I agree wholeheartedly with your proposal.

Tony Finch <> followed up:
  No. You should use Apache's configuration directives to get the right
  charset in the HTTP response header. <meta http-equiv> is an abomination.

Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>:
  Oh, rot.  For one thing, this is the docs project; he does not
  *HAVE* control over the config settings of the server.  For
  another, a valid point was already made about the tag's usefulness
 in a file: environment.

I haven't seen any further follow ups. So, is it okay or not to use
the META w/ charset tag ? I notice that it's already in use in some
translated files.

Eric Cholet
B995 E519 1594 10D0 4271 1EA5 8DF3 8004

View raw message