httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Jaime E . Villate" <vill...@fe.up.pt>
Subject Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:48:17 GMT
On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:26:30AM -0800, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > One thing: make sure that you always use HTML entities such as &eacute;
> > and do not use ISO-8859-1 characters instead. There has been some
> > discussion on this list about a way to allow us to use ISO-8859-1
> > characters directly, which would certainly make our life easier,
> > but AFAIK no conclusion has been reached yet and we must still use
> > entities exclusively.
>
> Could you remind me of the issue?  I don't think there is any problem with
> adding the META tags to the HTML, as long as we also send proper HTTP
> headers.

I asked on the 31st of January:
"would it be OK if I added a
tag in the header of the pages I translate into Spanish?"

I got two affirmative and one negative answers:

1- "I agree wholeheartedly with your proposal."
William A. Rowe, Jr.

2- "No. You should use Apache's configuration directives to get the right
charset in the HTTP response header. <meta http-equiv> is an abomination."
Tony Finch

3- "Oh, rot.  For one thing, this is the docs project; he does not
*HAVE* control over the config settings of the server.  For
another, a valid point was already made about the tag's usefulness
in a file: environment.
I do not much care for the tag myself, but this is a good
example of when it is actually useful."
Ken.Coar

Altogether I assumed the consensus was to use the meta-tag. But If
there are any objections please let me know and we'll stop using it. As I
said, the big advantage of using latin1 characters is to ease the task of
reviewing language usage and being able to use spell-checkers without the
intermediate step of changing from html to latin1, which discourages some of
our less-technically oriented collaborators in the Spanish translation team.

Jaime Villate