httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Translation of Apache Docs to Hebrew
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:00:08 GMT
From: "Hadar Porat" <webmaster@igames.co.il>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 1:00 PM

> Hi,
>
> I have two questions:
> 1. The page index.html.he.iso-8859-8  is full with mistakes. Can I rewrite it?

PLEASE do... and we would likely copy the original author with your revisions.
We really do want more than one set of eyeballs on the translations... my earlier
comment on one of our translations was the number of chuckles it raised from the
native speakers.  IMHO, translations to one of the author's primary languages are
always better than second languages.  We want to incorporate as many translations
as possible, but it's not productive to apply our two-year second-langauge skills
to the effort :-)

> 2. There is two Charsets to Hebrew:
>     A. ISO - Meaning Revrese Letter - Harder to do, but all OS read it.
>     B. Windows 1255 - Better, but i'm not sure it's good for linux....
> What do you recommend?

ISO.  The underlying issue is cross-platform compatibility.  Windows proprietary
encodings don't accomplish that key goal.