httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Trash the 2.0 FAQ.
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:09:30 GMT
From: "Joshua Slive" <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 8:01 PM

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Chris Pepper wrote:
>
> > Can we add something to the (1.3) FAQ identifying status of
> > individual issues in 2.0? Ideally, I'd like to have [1.3 only] or
> > [fixed in 2.0] in the TOC and inline titles, to make scanning through
> > it easier for 2.0 users, but this probably shouldn't appear until 2.0
> > is released (at least at 'beta'/external level). This might also make
> > it easier to build a new 2.0 FAQ, or might become irrelevant if the
> > rest of the 2.0 docs are much better.
> >

> What you are proposing would be nice, but I think it is pretty much
> impossible to do well.
>
> My idea about this is that, as 2.0 starts to get used, we can resurect any
> FAQs that it turns out are still relevant.  (Or, better yet, fix the
> documentation so that they FAQ won't be necessary.)  I am hoping that
> depending on the 1.3 FAQ will be a short-term thing.  Otherwise, this idea
> just makes things harder on users.

Here's my thought on an FAQ in the first place;

the FAQ should be the repository of _showstoppers_, things folks never seem to
get right no matter how well they are documented.  Any user will try adding a
feature and removing it the dozen times it takes to get it right.  Few users will
pound on the config of a non-functioning piece of software.

If it's a problem likely to stop them from using Apache - it belongs in an FAQ.
That would include the last three items under section D for Win32 users - it just
doesn't work and they don't know why.

The gory details of specific modules should probably be broken out - so we end up
with a mod_cgi FAQ, a mod_includes FAQ, logging FAQ etc.  I'd like to see the core
FAQ simplified to what keeps users from ever starting their first (or next) Apache
web server.