httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: prototype FAQ
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:52:18 GMT
OK, joining late and been up all night with a couple of hours sleep since,
but....

> I am totally in favour of making the FAQ easier to use -- but
> on multiple levels.  Ease of use needs to be attained for:
>
> 1. Finding the right Q/A.

Agreed.  This is after all what the FAQ is all about!

> 2. Treating as a monolithic document (for printing, or mailing,
>    or including in a tarball).

As you point out there are ways and means of doing this, but the "normal"
FAQ should be structured so it's quicker and easier to find the answers you
need.

> 3. Referencing the right Q/A (when linking or mailing a link).

Yeah, it's a good idea but does it need to be a plain old number?  Couldn't
we use a unique id for each question we add?  Adding an anchor with the id
should solve this problem...

> 4. Updating.
>
> Whatever.  Maybe the thing to do is to use XML with a transformation
> engine.

This should definately be done.  I know there has been some discussion but
we need to solve this and the FAQ seems like an ideal candidate as it'll
throw up every problem we can imagine and some more besides.

> Find some way to improve ease-of-use along those four axes (or
> at least not DISimprove it on any of them ;-), and I think I am +1.

If we can do all this then I'll be +1 :), but presently I'm -0.5 on the
sample you created.

david