httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: Language Negotiation: "No Acceptable Variant"
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:35:59 GMT
	I agree with James -- this should be solved with a directive,
not additional files or symlinks. The case I was thinking of is a
Japanese mirror of httpd.apache.org, where they can mirror the
'master' content tree exactly, but specify in their local httpd.conf
which language to 'prefer'.

	I don't love the current suffixes -- agree with Ken(?) it
causes confusion between .html and .en on the same file, but it's the
best we've got. I think we should avoid making '.html' a special
language code if we can.

	A DefaultLanguage directive (defaulting to en), specifying
the preferred language(s) for browsers that don't specify their own
preference, seems like the right way to do it.

						Chris Pepper

--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller U Computing Services:  <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>